Brake fade is one of the most dangerous experiences you can ever go through. However, this doesn’t happen especially if you use top notch brake fluids on your BMW.
Safety is definitely amongst the key aspects that BMW instil in their vehicles, although you also play a big role in ensuring your safety as well. It is not advisable to use sub- standard brake fluids on your car as this will compromise the performance of your car’s braking system. However, the good news is that we are looking at some of the best brake fluids for your BMW which will guarantee you great performance 24/7. With these brake fluids, you won’t have to worry about experiencing brake failure no matter how much you step on that brake pedal.
Comparison Table for the Best Brake Fluids for BMW
Dry boiling point
Wet boiling point
Buy on Amazon
ATE TYP200 DOT4 brake fluid
536 deg. Fahrenheit
374 deg. Fahrenheit
Pentosin SUPER DOT4 brake fluid
265 deg. Fahrenheit
165 deg. Fahrenheit
Bosch ES16- 32N Brake fluid
500 deg. Fahrenheit
356 deg. Fahrenheit
MOTUL RBF600 Brake fluid
594 deg. Fahrenheit
401 deg. Fahrenheit
Prestone AS800Y DOT 4 brake fluid
510 deg. Fahrenheit
311 deg. Fahrenheit
Castrol SRF Racing Brake fluid
310 deg. Fahrenheit
270 deg. Fahrenheit
Red Line RL-600 brake fluid
400 deg. Fahrenheit
7 Best Brake Fluids for BMW overview
ATE TYP200 Brake Fluid – It is a long lasting brake fluid.
- Minimal decrease of boiling point due to excellent water locking properties
- Non-foaming when filling and bleeding the brake system
- Excellent corrosion protection due to selected additives
- High safety tolerance against steam bubbles
- Makes brake fluid changing intervals of up to 3 years possible
Most brake fluids will actually serve you for about 2 years before they start losing the components that make them work effectively. However this is not the case with ATE TYP200 DOT 4 brake fluid as it will last you up to 3 years before it starts being inefficient. Unfortunately, it is not compatible with other brake fluids.
- Dry boiling point- 536 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 374 degrees Fahrenheit.
This brake fluid is highly resistance to steam bubbles in the brake system which prevents brake compression. Brake compression occurs when air enters the reservoir and forms bubbles in the fluid which reduces the braking power of your car. The ATE TYP200 brake fluid has a high dry and wet boiling point of 536 degrees Fahrenheit and 374 degrees Fahrenheit respectively. This guarantees you high tolerance from forming bubbles in the braking system. This ensures that your car’s braking system operates efficiently throughout. And this is not all, because this brake fluid does not foam easily even when you bleed your braking system. Therefore, you shouldn’t be worried about moisture mixing in the brake fluid as its components allow the fluid to retain its boiling points. The ATE TYP200 brake fluid also consists of additives that protect your brake seals and lines from corrosion which prolongs their service life. In the long run this actually enables you to save a lot of replacements that you would have incurred if you use a sub- standard brake fluid.
- It has a long service life.
- Great dry and wet boiling point.
- Does not foam easily.
- Prevents water locking effectively.
- It is not compatible with other brake fluids.
Without doubt, the ATE TYP200 DOT 4 brake fluid is a good choice to consider especially if you are looking for a fluid that will last you for a long time. To be honest, a brake fluid that will last you for up to 3 years without losing its efficiency is pretty impressive.
Pentosin SUPER DOT4 – It is compatible with a wide variety of vehicles
- Pentosin Super DOT 4 is a brake fluid of superior quality for universal use in modern brake systems and ideal for vehicles with ABS systems
- Super DOT 4 offers safety against vapor lock, with excellent resistance to absorbing and retaining water, while providing superior corrosion resistance
- Pentosin Super DOT 4 brake fluid can be used in ALL vehicles that require DOT 4 fluid; 1 liter bottle - sold individually
- OE Reference Numbers: Audi/Volkswagen: B 000 700 A1, B 000 700 A3, B 000 700 A6; BMW/Mini: 81 22 9 407 510, 81 22 9 407 511, 81 22 9 407 512, 81 22 9 407 513; Land Rover: LRNDOT4; Mercedes-Benz: 000 989 08 07 10, 000 989 08 07 11, 000 989 08 07 19
- OE Reference Numbers (Continued): Porsche: 000 043 203 66, 000 043 203 67, 000 043 305 52
You’ll agree with me that our BMWs are very sensitive vehicles and so are their braking systems. The good news is that Pentosin SUPER DOT4 brake fluid will ensure that your braking system works effectively even when you constantly slam on your brakes. However, it is Not compatible with other DOT 4 brake fluids.
- Dry boiling point- 265 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
This brake fluid can be used in both new vehicles that come with advanced ABS systems and older versions that don’t use ABS, as it consists of components that makes it exceed the average standards set for DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids. It is advisable that you don’t mix it with other brake fluids for you to be able to enjoy the full potential of this brake fluid in your braking system. In addition to this, Pentosin SUPER DOT4 brake fluid has a dry boiling point of 265 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. One advantage about having these high boiling points is that this brake fluid doesn’t thin out easily even under high heat which prevents you from experiencing brake fade even when you are hard on your brakes. Without doubt, it can be really costly when you are compelled to change your brake lines or seals frequently due to rust. However, this is not be something to worry about when you get this brake fluid, as it consists of additives that prevent your brake seals from corrosion. Another useful feature that comes with this brake fluid is that it doesn’t vaporize easily therefore, your braking lines won’t experience any interruptions in the flow of the fluid throughout the braking system. This ensures that your braking system runs efficiently throughout.
- It is very compatible to various vehicles.
- It prevents corrosion.
- Highly resistance to water absorption.
- It has high dry and wet boiling points.
- Not compatible with other DOT 4 brake fluids.
The Pentosin SUPER DOT4 brake fluid is rated amongst the best brake fluids for BMW because it is compatible to a wider variety of vehicles. Its compatibility to both vehicles that have an ABS system and those that don’t makes it a good choice to consider.
Bosch ES16- 32N Brake fluid – Easily Mixes with a variety of DOT grade brake fluids
- High compatibility. Use with or direct replacement for DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5. 1
- Extended Service Interval (ESI): Lasts 100% longer than DOT 3, 50% longer than DOT 4, and 10% longer than DOT 5. 1
- Exceeds all DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5. 1 standards
- Wet boiling point ~ 365 DegreeF/Viscosity at -40 DegreeC ~ 685mm2/s
- Standard brake fluid has a recommended change interval of 2 years. The recommended change interval for Bosch ESI6 is 3 years.
Here we have a brake fluid that is from one of the most known brands in the world for both automotive parts and fluids. Bosch ES16 -32N brake fluid guarantees you great performance as it exceeds OEM brake fluid standards. One downside about this brake fluid is that it is not suitable for vehicles used for racing.
- Dry boiling point- 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
This brake fluid not only exceeds OEM standards but is also compatible with DOT 3, DOT 4 and even DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Pretty convenient yeah? You can actually mix this brake fluid with any of those three DOT grades and it will still operate efficiently in your braking system. In addition to this, the Bosch ES-16 32N brake fluid also has a long service life of 3 years. For sure, this comes in handy because it enables you to save on frequent brake fluid purchase costs that you would incur when using a sub- standard brake fluid. This brake fluid also has a dry boiling point of 500 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 356 degrees Fahrenheit. With these boiling points, this brake fluid shows its ability to handle high temperatures which enables the braking system of your car to work efficiently 24/7. Another feature that makes this brake fluid a good product is the packaging. It is always sealed well that prevents any impurities from creeping in to the container which enhance a long shelf life without reducing the quality of the brake fluid.
- It is compatible with different DOT grade fluids.
- It has long service life.
- Great packaging.
- Exceeds OEM fluid standards.
- It is not suitable for cars used for racing.
Well, the Bosch ES16 -32N brake fluid is also a very good choice to pick for your BMW as it offers you long service life and exceeds OEM fluid standards. For, sure this brake fluid will guarantee you great efficiency and durability for your daily driving car.
MOTUL RBF600 Brake fluid – It is 100% Synthetic
- For hydraulic actuated brake and clutch systems
- Non-silicone synthetic fluid
- Extreme thermal resistance and stability
- Very high boiling point (312 degree centigrade / 594 degree Fahrenheit)
- Better aerodynamic performance
Does you brake pedal usually start feeling soft and less responsive when you step hard on the brakes a couple of times? Well, gone are those days because the Motul RBF600 is a fully synthetic fluid that helps prevent that from happening. However, it doesn’t have a really long service life because of its performance characteristics.
- Dry boiling point- 594 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 401 degrees Fahrenheit.
This brake fluid has a very high dry boiling point of 594 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 401 degrees Fahrenheit. Without doubt, these boiling points enable the brake fluid to counter vapor lock effectively. Aside from this, the brake fluid also ensures that you don’t lose the response of your brakes as it fights brake fade even when you are pushing your car to its limits. The Motul RBF600 brake fluid also consists of Nitrogen which enable it to be stored inside the container for a long time without being contaminated. This is very essential because you can actually store this brake fluid in your store without worrying whether it’s going to lose its properties or not. It is also important to note that this brake fluid is best suited for hydraulic actuated brake systems.
- Has a high dry and wet boiling point.
- It is not easily contaminated.
- Has high thermal resistance.
- It effectively prevents friction in the braking system.
- It doesn’t last long before it starts to lose its properties.
This is a good brake fluid for you especially if you drive the top spec M sport BMWs. The Motul RBF600 is designed to be used in high performance vehicles hence its very high dry and wet boiling temperatures.
Prestone AS800Y DOT 4 brake fluid – It works efficiently in all types of braking systems
- Recommended for all ABS, disc and drum brake systems as well as hydraulic clutches requiring DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids
- Provides corrosion protection for all metals within the braking system
- Compatible with all conventional brake fluids
- Substantially reduces the possibility of fluid vaporization and eventual brake failure
- Excellent performance in high-temperature braking systems
This is also another synthetic brake fluid that is suitable for BMWs as it operates efficiently even under frequent high temperature use. Unfortunately, it is packaged poorly.
- Dry boiling point- 510 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 311 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Prestone AS800Y DOT 4 brake fluid comes with a dry boiling point of 510 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 311 degrees Fahrenheit. For sure, this fluid doesn’t easily thin out even when you are constantly using the brakes which enables your braking system to function efficiently throughout. It also easily prevent vapour lock in your car’s braking system therefore fighting off any chances of brake failure of loss of responsiveness from your brakes. This brake fluid is actually suitable for all types of braking systems, which include braking system that are equipped with ABS, disc brakes and even hydraulic actuated braking systems. One very convenient feature about this brake fluid is that it is compatible with other DOT grade brake fluids. Therefore, you can actually buy this brake fluid, top up in the reservoir in your car and it shall still maintain all its properties. In addition to this, this product also qualifies in maintaining the high standards set by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. Without doubt this speaks volumes about the quality of this brake fluid. It also consists of additives that prevent the metal parts within the braking system from corroding. In the long run this prolongs the service life of all the parts in your braking system.
- It is compatible to various DOT grade fluids e.g. DOT 3, DOT5 etc.
- It is a high quality product.
- It doesn’t vaporize easily.
- Operates efficiently throughout.
- It has poor packaging.
The Prestone AS800Y DOT 4 brake fluid is among the best brake fluids for BMW because it is compatible with most of the braking systems that come with their cars. However, it is important that you refer to your user manual before purchasing this product.
Castrol SRF Racing Brake fluid – Best brake fluid for high performance BMWs
We all know how BMW M sport division engineer and add a twist to their base model BMWs which results to superb performance machines. And with good performance comes good braking as well! The Castrol SRF racing Brake fluid is exactly what you need for these top spec vehicles, as it is manufactured with a unique formula to ensure great consistent braking performance throughout. However, it lacks minimal water absorption.
- Dry boiling point- 310 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 270 degrees Fahrenheit.
This brake fluid comes with a dry boiling point of 310 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 270 degrees Fahrenheit. These boiling points will allow you to push your car on the track for as many laps as you want without experiencing brake fade. It is definitely your most trusted brake system partner if you are keen on setting the fastest lap times of the day at your local track. The Catrol SRF brake fluid also lasts you for a whole year or even two years before you are required to drain it out and fill in new brake fluid. Well, this depends on how often you driver your car on the track. If you don’t go there regularly, then it will serve you for up to 2 years before its starts losing its properties. In addition to this, it also has components that ensure the vital parts of your braking system don’t corrode even after consistent use. This helps you to save on replacement costs that you would incur if you were using a sub- standard brake fluid.
- Great quality product.
- It is Suitable for high performance vehicles.
- It Prevents vapour lock consistently.
- Improves stopping power.
- Lacks minimal water absorption.
If you drive one of the M sport BMWs, which are absolutely awesome cars by the way, the Castrol SRF racing brake fluid should be your go- to fluid. It guarantees you great performance even when you push your car to its absolute limits.
Red Line RL- 600 DOT4 brake fluid – It has the highest Dry and wet boiling point
- Red Line 90402 Rl-600 Brake Fluid, 16 Ounce, 1 Pack
- Red Line
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
This brake fluid works efficiently both on a stock brake system and even upgraded brake systems. The Red Line RL- 600 brake fluid consists of properties that enable it to maintain its viscosity even under high temperatures. Unfortunately, it is made of components that may cause cancer.
- Dry boiling point- 604 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wet boiling point- 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Let us dive directly in to the goodies! Firstly, this brake fluid is compatible with all of the DOT grade fluids including DOT5.1. Therefore, you can actually top up this fluid to your reservoir that already has a different brake fluid and it will still retain all its properties. One impressive feature about this brake fluid is that it actually reduces the cycles of the ABS system which allows the pedal to be responsive throughout. In addition to this, this brake fluid is also made of Glycol ethers which help the brake fluid protect the essential parts of the braking system from corrosion. This prolongs the service life of your braking system by a big margin. The Red Line RL-600 DOT4 brake fluid also comes with a high dry boiling point of 604 degrees Fahrenheit and a wet boiling point of 400 degrees Fahrenheit. With these boiling points, the brake fluid is able to ensure that you don’t get brake fade even when you are constantly hard on the brakes. It also doesn’t vaporize easily.
- It maintains its viscosity.
- High dry and wet boiling point.
- Compatible with other DOT grade brake fluids.
- It effectively prevents corrosion
- Has substances that may cause cancer.
This brake fluid is suitable to satisfy your braking needs especially if you have a BMW that produces a lot of heat within the braking system. It is also compatible with other brake fluids which makes it a very good choice to consider.
What to consider when buying brake fluid for BMW
There are various brake fluids in the market which serve the same purpose but are of different grades classified in DOT levels. Yes, every time you see the containers of brake fluids written DOT 3 or DOT 4 you should definitely be aware that they mean something. I will briefly explain to you the various DOT levels that we have in the market today for our vehicles.
- DOT 3- these brake fluids are usually made to be used in standard daily driver cars as they consist of a very low boiling point. It’s not advisable to get this if you constantly drive your car at high speeds.
- DOT 4- this is the best all- round brake fluid out there. This is because it is made up of semi- synthetic components which lubricate your brake system effectively throughout. Be it driving on the daily or driving fast occasionally from time to time, this brake fluid always guarantees you great performance. It is actually what we mostly use on almost all BMW vehicles.
- DOT 5- well, if you are into racing, or just got yourself one of the M sport BMW series, this is exactly what you need. It is made of silicone material which has a very high boiling point that prevents your brakes from overeating even when you are pushing your car to its absolute limit on the track.
Have you upgraded your brake lines from the usual rubber lines to braided steel lines? If not, you should definitely consider the resistance of the fluid to absorb water. This is because the rubber lines tend to wear out after some time and become porous. A fluid that is not highly resistant to water will mix with water and lose its ability to withstand high temperatures which will make you brakes less responsive.
It is also very important that you go for a brake fluid that doesn’t corrode the rubber seals on the braking system of your BMW. This is also best suited for vehicles that are equipped with advanced ABS systems as you will be guaranteed efficient performance throughout. It also plays a big role in preventing any damage to the paint job in case you accidentally spill it on your car when changing the fluid.
Sometimes, you may be required to top up the brake fluid in your car. However, you’ll only be able to experience consistent impressive brake performance if you get a fluid that is compatible with a variety of other brands. This is because you may be in a situation whereby you need to top up brake fluid as soon as possible and most of the local parts store don’t have the brand that you initially used. If brake fluid is not easily compatible with other brands then you will notice some unresponsiveness whenever you brake.
These 7 brake fluids are the best brake fluids that the market has to offer for your BMW. This is because they all consist of very high dry and wet boiling points which always help in preventing brake fade. They also guarantee you great performance and long service life which helps you save on a lot of costs. So be sure to have a look at either one of this seven brake fluids the next time you are required to replace the brake fluid in your car.