Have you purchased a new Subaru? One of the units that you should focus on is the power steering. You need to lubricate this unit by using the best power steering fluids.
For a couple of days, my Subaru’s power steering system was producing a whining noise every time I turned the wheel right or left. Though the sound would disappear when I continued driving, I could not ignore it. When I checked the car’s fluid, the indicator showed that I was running low. I started looking for the best power steering fluid for my vehicle and came across different products. Comparing them helped me identify the right one for my car. Since I started using one of the best power steering fluids, the groaning noise is no longer there.
A Comparison Table for the Best Power Steering Fluid for Subaru
Check on Amazon
High viscosity index
CRP Automotive Pentosin
Ideal for all weather conditions
Resists thermal breakdown
It mixes with factory steering fluids
Reviewing the Best Power Steering Fluid for Subaru
- Motorcraft MERCON V is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid
- recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require either MERCON V or MERCON type fluid
- Do not use in applications where MERCON SP, MERCON LV, continuously variable chain type transmission fluid, Motorcraft premium automatic transmission fluid, FNR5 automatic transmission fluid or Type-F automatic transmission fluid is recommended
- Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON ATF was previously recommended
- Motorcraft MERCON V is suitable for use as a hydraulic oil in a wide variety of industrial applications that call for an ISO 46 or SAE 20W viscosity grade hydraulic oil
Ford Motor Company came up with this power steering fluid to protect the power steering unit from corroding or rusting. Using this power steering fluid can also minimize the formation of foam, sludge, or gum. Ford Genuine is created with a high viscosity index. It is a premium quality steering fluid that contains performance additives.
- Hydro-processed oils
- Performance additives
- High viscosity index
This fluid can offer excellent shifting at both low and high temperatures, as well as oxidation resistance. It makes it easy for you to detect any leakage during use since it comes in red color. It is an ideal power steering fluid that can be used on different vehicles, including Subaru.
- The coloring makes it easy to detect any leakage
- Suitable for various car types
- It provides wear protection
- You should not use it to replace variable chain type power steering fluid.
If you are looking for a quality power steering fluid that you can use in your car, consider this model. It offers excellent protection against corrosion and can prevent the formation of foam.
CRP Automotive Pentosin
- Please see Product Description regarding the Prop 65 Warning
- It is suitable for all extreme weather conditions
- Guarantees full performance from -40 Fahrenheit to +266 degrees Fahrenheit
- Specially designed for power steering, level control, shock absorber and hydro-pneumatic suspension and stability, traction control systems
- Excellent for use in electro-hydraulic mechanisms of convertible tops and central lock systems
Get a power steering fluid that you can use in your vehicle during different weather conditions. CRP automotive Pentosin works as expected, even during extreme weather conditions. It is a high-performance fluid that is suitable for automotive hydraulic systems.
- Synthetic fluid
- Full performance from -40 to 130 degrees F.
This is a multi-purpose fluid that is ideal for hydraulics that has a lot of technical requirements like level control, power steering, traction control, and shock absorber.
- You can use it on different types of vehicles
- It is pocket friendly
- You should pour it carefully to avoid any spillage.
Every driver should look for the right power steering fluid for their vehicles. This specific product is great since it works on most vehicle types. The multi-purpose fluid works as expected in different weather conditions.
- Advanced power steering fluid
- Maximizes the life and performance of all power steering units
- Proprietary Synerlec additive technology
- Compatible and can be mixed with conventional power steering fluids
Are you an automotive enthusiast? If yes, you should know the right products to use on different parts of your car to ensure that everything functions properly. Royal purple is a popular company that creates quality power steering fluids for different vehicles, including Subaru. This specific model is made using Synerlec additive technology.
- Synerlec additive technology
- Synthetic-based oil
The manufacturer of this power steering fluid designs it to enhance the lifespan and performance of your car’s power steering unit. Feel free to mix it with any other regular power steering fluid. It also comprised of synthetic-based oils. Using this power steering fluid in your vehicle can help it run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently. Since it comes with a non-foaming formula, it can prevent the power steering system from corroding and rusting. The power steering fluid also performs well in high temperatures.
- Enhances the performance of power steering units
- You can mix it with regular power steering fluids
- It is not the best for non-synthetic pumps.
This power steering fluid not only offers wear protection but also keeps the system clean. It can extend the lifespan of the power steering pump.
- Keeps power-steering systems running smoothly and helps stop or reduce fluid loss caused by leaky seals
- Formulated with high-quality oil and fortified with additives to revitalize dried, shrunken, and hardened seals
- Developed for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler, and most foreign cars and light trucks
- Anti-wear agents protect pump components
- Corrosion inhibitors to protect metal components
If you have been using power steering fluids for a while, you may have come across this brand. It is a popular product that is made of anti-wear agents. These are designed to protect the components of your power steering pump. Unlike some of the power steering fluids, this comes with seal conditioners that can rejuvenate and protect the seals. It, therefore, facilitates smooth power steering.
- Anti-foam agents
- Seal conditioners
- Corrosion inhibitors
The anti-form agents included in this power steering fluid prevent steering loss and pump cavitation. It comes with corrosion inhibitors that protect all the metal components. Thanks to the point depressants, you can still enjoy excellent steering even at low temperatures. The included antioxidants prevent sludge formation.
- It delivers excellent steering even in different temperatures
- The fluid prevents the formation of sludge
- It can protect the metal components from corroding
- Not ideal for Asian manufactured cars.
Prestone is a high-quality power steering fluid that contains additives to prevent pump squealing. You can use this fluid on different vehicle types since it fulfills the service requirements from various automakers. It is also compatible with different fluids.
- The service solution for ALL European, North American, and Asian vehicles (Honda fluid recommended for Honda/Acura vehicles)
- Reduces friction and protects seals and hoses - extending the life of the power steering system
- Provides excellent cold and high temperature performance eliminating "morning sickness" stiffness
- Excellent for use in electric hydraulic systems
- Cleans and frees sticky turbines and pumps
If you have different car models, you need to choose a power steering fluid that you can use on all of them. Lubegard Synthetic is designed for different types of vehicles, including Subaru. Using this fluid can help you extend the lifespan of the power steering system since it not only minimizes friction but also protects the hoses and seals, thus preventing the risk of leaks.
- Synthetic oil
- Two patented technologies
Most car owners like the way this power steering fluid performs well in both high and low temperatures. Using it can help you get rid of the stiffness in your power steering unit. If you notice some stickiness in the pumps and turbines, you can make use of this power steering fluid to clean them. The formula is made up of synthetic oil and additives. It is also made using two patented technologies known as LXE and SynergoITMS. Thanks to these technologies, power steering fluid is quite stable and does contain any polluting or toxic elements. These technologies also ensure that the power steering wheel can offer excellent wear protection.
- Ideal for different vehicle types
- Works great in different temperatures
- It can eliminate any stickiness in the pumps
- Delivers a smooth operation and reduces stiffness
- Some users reveal that it does not work as expected in some applications.
Using this power steering fluid can help you minimize friction and enhance the performance of the system. It is also ideal for electric hydraulic systems. The power steering fluid can also provide excellent corrosion resistance.
- Package Dimensions: 23.2 H x 6.9 L x 11.2 W (centimetres)
- Package Weight: 0.9 kilograms
- Country of Origin : United States
- Fit type: Universal
The company behind this power steering fluid has an excellent reputation since it makes quality products for all kinds of vehicles. You can enhance the performance of your Subaru’s power steering system by using this fluid. It is made of excellent base oil, additives as well as conditioners that can prolong the life of your system.
- Lucas additives
- Fine base oil
Apart from conditioning the seals, the power steering fluid can prevent any leakage and give you a smooth and quiet operation. You will also appreciate its compatibility with different power steering systems.
- It offers a quiet and smooth operation
- The fluid can prevent leaks and condition seals
- You should not use it on a system that uses ATF fluid.
Utilizing this power steering fluid can help you use valves, cylinders, seals, and pumps for longer. It is a high-quality product that enhances the performance of your power steering system.
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
Choose a power steering fluid that is known for offering great wear protection. Red line does not disappoint since it not only does this but also adds resistance to foaming, evaporation, and thermal breakdown. It is a lightweight power steering fluid that offers great high-temperature viscosity.
- Adds resistance to evaporation and thermal breakdown
- Avoids power loss
- Prevents boil-over
- Suitable for synthetics and petroleum
By offering great heat resistance, this power steering fluid can, therefore, prevent boil-over and enhance steering at different temperatures. It is not only compatible with synthetics but also petroleum. Most car owners like the way this power steering fluid provides high pump output in different units. It also prevents squealing and leakage.
- It can make your steering wheel quite smooth
- The fluid also offers wear protection
- Works well in both high and low temperatures
- Some customers find it to be a bit costlier than other products.
The problem with using some of the power steering fluids is that they turn brown and start smelling burnt after a short while. Red line power steering fluid is different since it remains consistent for long and does not discolor or smell bad.
- Amber-colored, light-bodied mineral oil
- Contains a specially developed additive
- Anti-corrosive and non foaming
- Formulated for automotive use
- For use in vehicles with regular hydraulic power steering systems
Are you looking for a budget-friendly power steering fluid that you can use regularly? You should consider this model. It is a quality power steering fluid that is formulated for different vehicles such as a Subaru. The amber-colored fluid is made up of mineral oil and additives.
- Mineral oil
- Amber-colored fluid
The manufacturer of this fluid ensures that it can prevent your power steering system from corrosion and foaming. Using it regularly enables it to provide excellent lubrication to the unit. You should also not experience any noise as long as you are using this fluid. It is also great since it offers excellent performance even in different weather conditions.
- It is budget-friendly
- Anti-foaming and anti-corrosive
- Enhanced all-weather performance
- It requires a lot of caution during use.
Once you start using this power steering fluid, you should not experience any leakage. It is a quality power steering fluid that can put your Subaru in great running condition.
- Package Dimensions: 4.064 cms (L) x 8.636 cms (W) x 20.066 cms (H)
- Product Type: Auto Accessory
- Package Quantity: 1
- Country Of Origin: United States
The manufacturer offers at least four differing power steering fluids that can be used on different types of cars. You can choose the original formula, leak sealer, and conditioners or even the universal power steering fluid. Most car owners go for the original formula due to its impressive quality. You can mix this power steering fluid with most of the factory steering fluids. Doing this can help you protect the seals. Using this product also helps you protect your power steering unit from unusual wear.
- Comes in different variants
- High-quality conditioner
This is one of the power steering fluids that meet both import and domestic vehicle specifications. You can, therefore, use it on various car types such as Subaru. It keeps the O-rings pliable and soft to provide enhanced sealing of the system.
- It offers wear protection
- Mixes well with other power steering fluids
- It protects seals
- Some users feel that it is not long-lasting.
When you need to change the fluid in your power steering unit, empty the old fluid and refill with this product. Most customers reveal that they notice significant changes with this power steering fluid.
How to find the best power steering fluid for Subaru
The hydraulic power steering system in your Subaru can only work well if you invest in the best product. A power steering fluid offers lubrication to make sure that the power steering is working effectively. Apart from lubrication, the fluid can also transmit pressure to where it is most needed and provide enhanced balance. It also designed to prevent metal components and rubber seals from corroding.
Power steering fluids come in different forms, and choosing the wrong one can affect the power steering pump negatively. The right power steering fluid, on the other hand, can help you steer your Subaru easily without using a lot of effort. You should take your time to compare the different models available so that you can identify the best power steering fluid for your vehicle. Let the following factors guide you into making an informed decision.
This hydraulic fluid often comes in different forms, such as mineral oil-based or silicone-based. You can also find some power steering fluids that are created using synthetic-based oil. Every type is ideal for a particular power steering system. Understanding what your car’s power steering system needs is important.
If you are dealing with a new car, look under the hood to find the fluid reservoir. Every power steering system has a reservoir that is designed to hold the fluid. You should also check the product label to find out if it is compatible with your car. Avoid ignoring the manufacturer’s directions since every vehicle has distinct power steering needs.
Most car owners who are not new to using such fluids focus on the longevity of different power steering fluids. Products that protect the steering unit while enhancing the lubrication have a short life span. Those that don’t come with protective agents, on the other hand, often last longer. As you compare them, you should, therefore, decide what matters to you the most.
During shopping, you may also come across power steering fluids that claim to work with brakes and transmissions. Though such fluids may have the same qualities as other power steering fluids, some of them may damage particular components of your car’s unit. Take note that every product is explicitly meant for a precise system.
Over the years, vehicles have become easier to control thanks to the introduction of advanced technologies such as power steering. If you own a Subaru, you can boost your riding experience by focusing on regular care and maintenance. You can keep the power steering system working in the best condition by using hydraulic fluid. The best power steering fluid not only enhances your car’s performance but also protects it from wear and corrosion. Our discussion has covered some of the best power steering fluids that you should consider buying for your car.
Can a power steering fluid go bad?
Yes. These fluids have a shelf life, and using one after it goes bad can negatively affect the power steering system. You can prevent the fluid from going bad by keeping it sealed when not in use.
What is flushing the power steering system?
This means getting rid of the current fluid in the reservoir and substituting it with a different power steering fluid.
Can I check how much fluid is remaining in the reservoir?
Yes. Most cars come with a clear reservoir so that you can know how much fluid you have and when it is time for a refill. Alternatively, you can use a dipstick to confirm the levels.